- Range of serial numbers: Numbered from 1341 to 8,000
- Date of manufacture: 1848 to 1850
- Total production: 7000
- Length of barrel: 7½ inches
- Caliber: .44
- Address: ‘ADDRESS SAML COLT NEW-YORK CITY’
- Weight: 4 pounds 2 ounces
Colt First Model 1848 Dragoon Percussion Revolver
The Colt Model 1839 Shotgun was manufactured circa 1839 to 1841 in Paterson, New Jersey. A limited total of approximately 225 were manufactured and serial numbered in their own range from 1 through to about 225. The caliber was 16 gauge smoothbore with a large 6-shot cylinder measuring 3½ inches in length. This compared to a 2½ inch cylinder on the Model 1839 Carbine. The cylinder is roll-engraved with three panels and Colt markings. The barrel is round without bevels at the breech. Barrel lengths varied between 24 inches and 32 inches and made without attached loading levers.
The barrel address is found on the right side of the barrel lug and reads: ‘Patent Arms M’g. Co. Paterson, N.J.-Colt’s Pt.’ with a snake and star terminal at each end. The shotgun features the same mechanism as the carbine with an exposed hammer. The serial numbers are found on various parts but the carbine should be disassembled to make a full check. The metal parts are blued apart from the barrel which is browned with a Damascus twist pattern. The stocks are varnished walnut.
This unpopular model as can be seen by the low production run has become a rarity to collectors today and therefore very collectible. The failure of the Paterson Arms Manufacturing Company cut short the possibility for success for this model.
As with most Colt firearms there are always exceptions to the rule and the 1839 shotgun can be found with special barrel lengths outside the 24-32 inch criteria. Stocks are sometimes found with deluxe wood and also checkering has been encountered.
For in-depth reference on Paterson longarms see ‘The Paterson Colt Book featuring the Dennis A. Levett Collection’ by R.L. Wilson.
More Colt Percussion Dragoons
The Colt Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon Revolver also known as the "Transition Walker" was manufactured late in 1847.